Four short months ago, I was slightly terrified to start a blog. Blogging seemed like great way to practice my craft and gain feedback from other aspiring writers, but I had my worries. What would I write about? Who would read it? Would anyone comment? Would I be able to stick with it? I’m so glad that I placed my fears aside and plucked up the courage to write my first post. All of the bloggers that I have encountered on WordPress, and beyond, have been so friendly and encouraging that in a short period time I feel like a full-fledged member of the blogosphere.
How Can I Complain? is a blog still in its infancy, stuck with me as its new mother. Parenting a blog may not require nightly feedings, but devoting the proper amount of time and dedication to assure that it flourishes and grows is a balancing act. Sometimes I find myself hovering over my blog baby, checking its site stats, like a helicopter parent suspended outside of a teacher’s classroom. Other times, like this past week, I’m so neglectful about writing that I picture my poor blog baby in a ratty playpen, saddled with a soggy diaper, and arms outstretched begging me to nurture it. That’s when a nudge from a blogging buddy comes in handy.
This week, I got that nudge when the fabulous writer limr, from her blog As a Linguist, presented me with the Irresistibly Sweet Blogger Award. Limr holds a special place in my heart because hers was the very first WordPress blog that I read and commented on and she was my first subscriber. She’s a wonderful wordsmith. She’s wicked smart and I always learn something new when I tune into her blog. Plus, she has cats that don’t object to wearing hats like mine do!
The rules of the Irresistibly Sweet Blogger Award appear to be that I’m to write seven random facts about myself, and that I pass this award on to seven deserving bloggers. First, we’ll hit the facts!
1. I’m a huge Harry Potter nerd. I have a wand, and I’m not afraid to use it. (So far “Lumos” is the only spell that works, and that’s only when I’m near a light switch.)
2. Throughout my life I’ve been told that I look like Jayne Mansfield. (I guess I see it in the nose, mouth and well um, chest!)
3. I love wearing flip-flops! (In my neck of the woods, flip-flop season begins on the first warm day in March and ends when the temperature dares to drop below 50 degrees Fahrenheit).
4. I’ve broken both of my ankles and my right middle finger. The ankles I broke skating and helping to install a pool liner. (Not at the same time!) The middle finger break happened while snow tubing and NOT from flipping too many people off as some of my friends speculated!
5. I was an extra in a movie my freshman year of college. Sadly, it wasn’t a cool movie. It was part of a Mark Twain series for PBS called The Tragedy of Puddin’ Head Wilson. It starred Ken Howard and Steven Weber. It was a fun experience, but not my ticket to stardom!
6. I’m a stickler for oral hygiene and I floss every single day!
7. I have an unnatural fear of eels and will only go into fresh or saltwater up to my knees. (Perhaps my fear is Freudian, but anything that looks like a penis with teeth or a turd with eyes needn’t come near me!)
Now for the seven fantastically talented bloggers worthy of the coveted Irresistibly Sweet Blogger Award! I’m following limr’s lead and choosing girls this time, but I promise my next award will go to the guys! Bring it on blogger gods!
Cue the snare drums!!! Here we go!
1. Deborah Bryan, from The Monster in Your Closet: Deborah is an amazing author, blogger, mom and human being. Her posts are honest, inspiring, and completely from the heart. Deb has had an amazing life journey and I urge you to check out her beautiful, well-written posts and novels.
2. Tori Nelson, from The Ramblings: If you need a good laugh, Tori’s your girl. Her posts are over-the-top hilarious. Need the answer for covering up a public toot? It’s there in her blog! Ya gotta read it!
3. Marie, from Marie’s Space: Marie’s writings are heartfelt and often humorous. She’s gutsy, capable, and a personal inspiration to me. Check out her space! It’s only a click away!
4. Renee Schuls-Jacobson, from Lessons from Teachers and Twits: Renee is one spunky little lady! She’s an amazingly dedicated professor and mom, and a very talented writer! You’ve gotta check her out!
5. Kristina, from Ten Minute Missive: I’ve just started following Kristina’s blog. She’s a former English teacher, and a current comic and writer. I really like what I’ve read so far, and I bet you’ll like her too!
6. Thoughtsy, from Thoughts Appear: This is another blog that I’ve just started following. Thoughtsy is 29 and has a list of 30 things that she wants to accomplish before she turns 30. I have to admit that I sometimes live vicariously through her adventures!
7. Monica, from Monica’s Tangled Web: This remarkable writer has been Freshly Pressed three times and once you read her posts you’ll see why. She’s witty, insightful and a pleasure to read.
Well, there you have it seven mad random facts about moi and seven irresistibly sweet award-winning bloggers! Thanks again limr!